Marriage License

A couple getting married in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts may apply for their marriage license in any Town Clerk's office in the state. A license may be obtained by doing the following:

  1. Both parties must apply in person.
  2. You must pay Marriage License Fee of $25.
  3. Wait the required three-day waiting period before the license can be issued (The three day waiting period may be waived by the Courts). A marriage license, once filed, is valid for 60 days.
  4. After the marriage occurs, the officiant completes the license and returns it to the town.

Use the Request for Vital Record (PDF) document to request a copy of a marriage certificate.

Justice of the Peace

The Braintree Town Clerk also is a Justice of the Peace and has the legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies. Those desiring a civil ceremony should contact the Town Clerk in advance of the date of the ceremony.